What We Do
View Our Historical Media Clippings
In 1989, the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce’s only twice-serving chairman of the board passed away. Lyle Anderson was known throughout the community for his banking ties. He loved the Chamber. As a memorial, the family of Lyle Anderson including his wife Norma donated money to establish the Greater La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
In 2015, the Anderson family’s dream of providing education to area businesses was realized when the Chamber purchased a new building at 601 7th Street North, La Crosse, WI, that included a room large enough to host up to 250 people. It is with pride that we host events in the Lyle & Norma Anderson Education Center.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
There was dispute between Mr. H.B Coons and Col. N. Myrick on who settled first.
Myrick settles in La Crosse to trade with the Native Americans.
Dutch Doc Arrives
Dr . Snow (known by “Dutch Doc” arrives with Philip Jacob, James Ismon and Asa White. Construction by H.J.B. (Scoots) Miller includes:
- A barn on the corner where the Cameron House later stood
- A warehouse, later replaced by the Bellevue House, and
- A blacksmith-shop on the corner of Front and State Street
“Dutch Doc & Phillip Jacob build a house on the corner of Front and Vernon Streets while Asa White builds near Front & Vernon.
The year sees the arrival of the first:
- Lumberman, Jacob Spaulding
- Physician, Dr. B. Bunnell (with his wife, son, and widowed daughter Van Rensselaer)
- Farmers (between State Rd. and Mormon Coolies): John & Charles Nagle
Three years later, Dr. Bunnell would his Mt. Vernon and Division street land to Peter Cameron, moving with only his wife back to New York.
Myrick Marries, Steamers Arrive
Nathan Myrick built a small home, traveled home to Westport, NY to marry and bring home Miss Rebecca E. Ismon, and three small steamers begin traveling to La Crosse regularly.
The first post office is created, with H.J.B. Miller serving as postmaster. Letters would arrive at his store, but he still ran his business so stored the letters in his hat, requiring people to find “Scoots”. Miller resigning in 1848 to run his businesses. H.E. Hubbard was appointed in his place.
The Mormons re-arrived (after leaving a few years earlier because their lifestyle did not suit the pioneers), settling in Mormon Cooley (as it was spelled back then). They left a few years later due to the leader finding the weather too cold.
Schools and churches still did not exist.
- First bowling alley created by Myrick & Miller at Vine & Front Streets.
- First frame house between Prairie du Chien & Red Wing was built for Levy & Snow, usin git as a hotel.
- First frame tavern at the corner of Pearl & Front Streets
- Population of the County was 20 people.
- First birth to H.J. B Miller, a daughter Martha.
- There were no trees or shrubs from the river to the bluffs.
First Politician Arrives
The native Irishman Hon. Timothy Burns visited in 1847. Per The History of La Crosse County (1881) In 1850, he removed to La Crosse, which he foresaw was destined to become one of the leading cities of the State, investing largely in land. At one time, he owned one-quarter of the original town site. Read about his short but illustrious career.
City of La Crosse Incorporated
Population: less than 3,995 (1856)
La Crosse County Boundaries Set
Land was downside over time to allow for the creation of Jackson (1953), Trempealeau (1954), and Monroe (1954)
CC Washburn Arrive in La Crosse
Cadwallader C. “C.C.” Washburn is arguably one of the most famous businessmen in La Crosse ever. As founder of Gold Medal Flour, former Wisconsin Governor, mill owner, Civil War major general and congressman, he is credited with making the Twin Cities what is it now. His impact reached libraries, schools, neighborhoods, orphanages, observatories and Edgewood College and High School.
Board of Trade Formed
When the City of La Crosse had only about 5,800 residents, the few business owners formed a Board of Trade . Their goal was to create a thriving environment for businesses. This goal remains true for the organization today.
Fun Fact: West Salem's Painted Cave
Paintings in this cave in West Salem showcasing Western Wisconsin’s roots.
The Board of Trade celebrates 207 members.
US Chamber Starts
As the U.S. Chamber of Commerce formed in Washington D.C., the La Crosse Board of Trade began transitioning to a Chamber of Commerce. In 1916, La Crosse became the 156th Chamber of Commerce in the entire United States.