Wisconsin DOT halts north-south corridor study
By Caroline Hecker, Multi-Media Journalist
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 5:02 PM CDTUpdated: Oct 09, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
La Crosse, WI (WXOW) – –The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is halting work on the Coulee Region Transportation study.
The study, which has cost the DOT nearly $1.3 million is part of a nearly twenty year effort to connect Highway 53 near the La Crosse marsh from the northern areas to downtown La Crosse.
The La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce says its been well known for years the funding to support the project simply wasn’t available.
According to Vikki Markussen, in 1999 the DOT shelved the issue and it resurfaced around three or four years ago.
Some community members say the project should be done away with for good.
“The DOT is way, way way in a deficit as far as its budget goes,” Chip DeNure said. “So why should they spend millions of dollars on a highway that is not wanted by most people in La Crosse?”
In order for the project to cease to exist, it would need to be de-enumerated from the state budget. Currently, its enumerated but there is no funding.
- 10/01/2020 - Young Professionals Fall FestWe're all itching to get out again and see our old Young Professional friends, but also a little concerned about what reconnecting will look like. Well we have an answer! Join us for the Young Professionals Fall Fest Social (possibly our first annual if all goes well). We will be set up in the Chamber […]
- 10/07/2020 - Oktoberfest in the Capitol 2020Take Our La Crosse Area Issues to Madison Wednesday, October 7 Every October a group of local businesses, led by the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce, shares the voice and concerns of the La Crosse Area with our state elected officials. Join us for this year's virtual event, on Wednesday, October 7, to talk with our leaders […]
- 10/12/2020 - Virtual Candidate Forum for Federal CandidatesPlease register using this link https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9rJy-j0ZRMOYSfuFHIl2pQ
- 10/14/2020 - Virtual Lunch & Learn: Your Personal Brand Will Lead You to SuccessYour Personal Brand Will Lead You to Success “It’s not what you, it’s not who you know, it's…” Do people know you? Do they know who you are? Do they know what you’re all about? Your personal brand matters for your personal and professional success. This month's virtual lunch-and-learn focuses on creating and […]
- 10/15/2020 - Leadercast 2020 Ripple EffectAmplify Your Leadership Impact at Leadercast 2020 Ripple Effect One small action leads to an impact that reverberates through space and time. This is the ripple effect of great leaders who act with the knowledge that their decisions will influence those far beyond their network. At this year's digital leadership conference, we will discover how […]
- 10/20/2020 - La Crosse Area Community Leadership 2020-2021The La Crosse Area Community Leadership Program is unlike any other leadership program you have experienced and is guaranteed to provide greater insight and value into the community in which you live. As a member of the 2020-21 La Crosse Area Community Leadership class, you will: Gain an understanding of Greater La Crosse and the […]
- 10/22/2020 - Servant Leadership Program: Fall 2020Servant Leadership This philosophy and set of practices enriches the lives of individuals, builds better organizations and ultimately creates a more just community and a caring world by teaching how to lead others well. Our fall session, starting October 22, runs for four half-day sessions, facilitated by renowned servant-leadership expert from Viterbo University, Tom Thibodeau. Learn […]