Wisconsin DOT halts north-south corridor study
By Caroline Hecker, Multi-Media Journalist
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 5:02 PM CDTUpdated: Oct 09, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
La Crosse, WI (WXOW) – –The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is halting work on the Coulee Region Transportation study.
The study, which has cost the DOT nearly $1.3 million is part of a nearly twenty year effort to connect Highway 53 near the La Crosse marsh from the northern areas to downtown La Crosse.
The La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce says its been well known for years the funding to support the project simply wasn’t available.
According to Vikki Markussen, in 1999 the DOT shelved the issue and it resurfaced around three or four years ago.
Some community members say the project should be done away with for good.
“The DOT is way, way way in a deficit as far as its budget goes,” Chip DeNure said. “So why should they spend millions of dollars on a highway that is not wanted by most people in La Crosse?”
In order for the project to cease to exist, it would need to be de-enumerated from the state budget. Currently, its enumerated but there is no funding.
- 01/20/2021 - 2021 Propel Women's Circles (monthly)Propel Women's Circles is about women helping women reach for opportunities without hesitation. Each Propel Circle consists of no more than 8 women who come together monthly for 60 - 90 minutes to grow confidence, learn new skills, challenge one another, celebrate, and advance together. Led by an experienced female business leader, each circle determines […]
- 01/20/2021 - Young Professionals Education: How to Lead Well RemotelyJanuary's education opportunity will feature Jason Lassen from American Family Insurance, Jason Lassen Agency, Inc. Jason will be discussing how to lead a team remotely and keep everyone motivated and efficient from home.
- 02/08/2021 - The Forum Online: State Budget & UpdatesFor this month's Forum Online, we'll be joined by our state legislators for updates from Madison including details on our state budget and how it impacts your business and our area's economy.
- 03/01/2021 - The Forum Online featuring La Crosse Mayoral CandidatesFor this month's Forum Online, we'll be joined La Crosse's mayoral candidates for an opportunity to hear their stances on business issues and have them answer your most pressing questions.
- 03/08/2021 - Annual Meeting 2021 (153rd)Save the Date for this year's Annual Meeting! Details, award recipients, and more coming soon.