Energy leaders share issues in the industry
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 11:43 AM CDTUpdated: Aug 28, 2017 11:44 AM CDT
According to local energy leaders, the advances in sustainable energy could translate into lower rates for customers.
This was just one of the messages on Monday morning at the Enlighten Forum hosted by the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce. Barb Nick, CEO and President of Dairyland Power Coop, Mark Stoering, President of Xcel Energy in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and Mike Huebsch with the Public Service Commission answered questions from the public in a panel discussion.
One key message of the panel was energy is moving away from the power grid of generations past.
“We have added significant amounts of wind power, solar power to our already existing hydroelectric power,” Nick said. “That’s a key part of our diversification strategy. We’re not only doing it to be reliable and affordable but to be sustainable for decades.”
Nick said it is an exciting time to work in the energy industry. She encourages young people to consider pursuing a career in energy.
“We’re going to continue to transition our portfolio to cleaner energy sources, and we’re going to continue to de-carbonize as we do that,” Stoering said. “We think it’s a better long term strategy. Our customers and our communities want it, and over time, we think we can do it affordably and economically.”
Xcel Energy has been named the nation’s number one wind energy company for the twelfth year in a row. Stoering said that in the state of Wisconsin, 2.5 million households operate off of wind energy.
- 01/20/2021 - 2021 Propel Women's Circles (monthly)Propel Women's Circles is about women helping women reach for opportunities without hesitation. Each Propel Circle consists of no more than 8 women who come together monthly for 60 - 90 minutes to grow confidence, learn new skills, challenge one another, celebrate, and advance together. Led by an experienced female business leader, each circle determines […]
- 01/20/2021 - Young Professionals Education: How to Lead Well RemotelyJanuary's education opportunity will feature Jason Lassen from American Family Insurance, Jason Lassen Agency, Inc. Jason will be discussing how to lead a team remotely and keep everyone motivated and efficient from home.
- 02/08/2021 - The Forum Online: State Budget & UpdatesFor this month's Forum Online, we'll be joined by our state legislators for updates from Madison including details on our state budget and how it impacts your business and our area's economy.
- 03/01/2021 - The Forum Online featuring La Crosse Mayoral CandidatesFor this month's Forum Online, we'll be joined La Crosse's mayoral candidates for an opportunity to hear their stances on business issues and have them answer your most pressing questions.
- 03/08/2021 - Annual Meeting 2021 (153rd)Save the Date for this year's Annual Meeting! Details, award recipients, and more coming soon.