Energy leaders share issues in the industry
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 11:43 AM CDTUpdated: Aug 28, 2017 11:44 AM CDT
According to local energy leaders, the advances in sustainable energy could translate into lower rates for customers.
This was just one of the messages on Monday morning at the Enlighten Forum hosted by the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce. Barb Nick, CEO and President of Dairyland Power Coop, Mark Stoering, President of Xcel Energy in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and Mike Huebsch with the Public Service Commission answered questions from the public in a panel discussion.
One key message of the panel was energy is moving away from the power grid of generations past.
“We have added significant amounts of wind power, solar power to our already existing hydroelectric power,” Nick said. “That’s a key part of our diversification strategy. We’re not only doing it to be reliable and affordable but to be sustainable for decades.”
Nick said it is an exciting time to work in the energy industry. She encourages young people to consider pursuing a career in energy.
“We’re going to continue to transition our portfolio to cleaner energy sources, and we’re going to continue to de-carbonize as we do that,” Stoering said. “We think it’s a better long term strategy. Our customers and our communities want it, and over time, we think we can do it affordably and economically.”
Xcel Energy has been named the nation’s number one wind energy company for the twelfth year in a row. Stoering said that in the state of Wisconsin, 2.5 million households operate off of wind energy.
- 10/01/2020 - Young Professionals Fall FestWe're all itching to get out again and see our old Young Professional friends, but also a little concerned about what reconnecting will look like. Well we have an answer! Join us for the Young Professionals Fall Fest Social (possibly our first annual if all goes well). We will be set up in the Chamber […]
- 10/07/2020 - Oktoberfest in the Capitol 2020Take Our La Crosse Area Issues to Madison Wednesday, October 7 Every October a group of local businesses, led by the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce, shares the voice and concerns of the La Crosse Area with our state elected officials. Join us for this year's virtual event, on Wednesday, October 7, to talk with our leaders […]
- 10/12/2020 - Virtual Candidate Forum for Federal CandidatesPlease register using this link https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9rJy-j0ZRMOYSfuFHIl2pQ
- 10/14/2020 - Virtual Lunch & Learn: Your Personal Brand Will Lead You to SuccessYour Personal Brand Will Lead You to Success “It’s not what you, it’s not who you know, it's…” Do people know you? Do they know who you are? Do they know what you’re all about? Your personal brand matters for your personal and professional success. This month's virtual lunch-and-learn focuses on creating and […]
- 10/15/2020 - Leadercast 2020 Ripple EffectAmplify Your Leadership Impact at Leadercast 2020 Ripple Effect One small action leads to an impact that reverberates through space and time. This is the ripple effect of great leaders who act with the knowledge that their decisions will influence those far beyond their network. At this year's digital leadership conference, we will discover how […]
- 10/20/2020 - La Crosse Area Community Leadership 2020-2021The La Crosse Area Community Leadership Program is unlike any other leadership program you have experienced and is guaranteed to provide greater insight and value into the community in which you live. As a member of the 2020-21 La Crosse Area Community Leadership class, you will: Gain an understanding of Greater La Crosse and the […]
- 10/22/2020 - Servant Leadership Program: Fall 2020Servant Leadership This philosophy and set of practices enriches the lives of individuals, builds better organizations and ultimately creates a more just community and a caring world by teaching how to lead others well. Our fall session, starting October 22, runs for four half-day sessions, facilitated by renowned servant-leadership expert from Viterbo University, Tom Thibodeau. Learn […]