Markussen represents La Crosse businesses at Foxconn hearing
By Mackenzie Amundsen, Multi-Media Journalist
Posted: Aug 04, 2017 4:23 PM CDTUpdated: Aug 18, 2017 4:23 PM CDT
Along with members of the public, the Assembly Board of Jobs invited speakers to add perspective to the issue. One of the invited speakers was the Executive Director of the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce, Vicki Markussen.
Markussen said the atmosphere at the public hearing was positive with many speakers sharing pro Foxconn testimonies. She believes Foxconn will provide the job opportunities Wisconsin needs to be more competitive with surrounding states.
“Our area is known to lose talent particularly to Minneapolis. Well, this provides us the opportunity to keep them in Wisconsin, and that’s good for Wisconsin,” Markussen said. “My message yesterday was, ‘What’s good for Wisconsin is good for La Crosse.'”
Even though Foxconn will likely be built in the eastern side of Wisconsin, Markussen said it will generate revenue in the Coulee Region.
“Foxconn will have a ripple effect for our area,” she said. “We do have some of our headquartered companies, obviously, with locations down on that side of the state. They fully believe that they will see the direct impact from Foxconn which of course ripples to our area because of those headquarters.”
Markussen surveyed area businesses before going to the hearing. 109 business responded with 68-percent moderately or strongly in favor of the incentive package. Those businesses believe that without the package, Wisconsin could lose Foxconn and the revenue and jobs it would bring.
- 01/20/2021 - 2021 Propel Women's Circles (monthly)Propel Women's Circles is about women helping women reach for opportunities without hesitation. Each Propel Circle consists of no more than 8 women who come together monthly for 60 - 90 minutes to grow confidence, learn new skills, challenge one another, celebrate, and advance together. Led by an experienced female business leader, each circle determines […]
- 01/20/2021 - Young Professionals Education: How to Lead Well RemotelyJanuary's education opportunity will feature Jason Lassen from American Family Insurance, Jason Lassen Agency, Inc. Jason will be discussing how to lead a team remotely and keep everyone motivated and efficient from home.
- 02/08/2021 - The Forum Online: State Budget & UpdatesFor this month's Forum Online, we'll be joined by our state legislators for updates from Madison including details on our state budget and how it impacts your business and our area's economy.
- 03/01/2021 - The Forum Online featuring La Crosse Mayoral CandidatesFor this month's Forum Online, we'll be joined La Crosse's mayoral candidates for an opportunity to hear their stances on business issues and have them answer your most pressing questions.
- 03/08/2021 - Annual Meeting 2021 (153rd)Save the Date for this year's Annual Meeting! Details, award recipients, and more coming soon.