Markussen represents La Crosse businesses at Foxconn hearing
By Mackenzie Amundsen, Multi-Media Journalist
Posted: Aug 04, 2017 4:23 PM CDTUpdated: Aug 18, 2017 4:23 PM CDT
Along with members of the public, the Assembly Board of Jobs invited speakers to add perspective to the issue. One of the invited speakers was the Executive Director of the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce, Vicki Markussen.
Markussen said the atmosphere at the public hearing was positive with many speakers sharing pro Foxconn testimonies. She believes Foxconn will provide the job opportunities Wisconsin needs to be more competitive with surrounding states.
“Our area is known to lose talent particularly to Minneapolis. Well, this provides us the opportunity to keep them in Wisconsin, and that’s good for Wisconsin,” Markussen said. “My message yesterday was, ‘What’s good for Wisconsin is good for La Crosse.'”
Even though Foxconn will likely be built in the eastern side of Wisconsin, Markussen said it will generate revenue in the Coulee Region.
“Foxconn will have a ripple effect for our area,” she said. “We do have some of our headquartered companies, obviously, with locations down on that side of the state. They fully believe that they will see the direct impact from Foxconn which of course ripples to our area because of those headquarters.”
Markussen surveyed area businesses before going to the hearing. 109 business responded with 68-percent moderately or strongly in favor of the incentive package. Those businesses believe that without the package, Wisconsin could lose Foxconn and the revenue and jobs it would bring.
- 10/01/2020 - Young Professionals Fall FestWe're all itching to get out again and see our old Young Professional friends, but also a little concerned about what reconnecting will look like. Well we have an answer! Join us for the Young Professionals Fall Fest Social (possibly our first annual if all goes well). We will be set up in the Chamber […]
- 10/07/2020 - Oktoberfest in the Capitol 2020Take Our La Crosse Area Issues to Madison Wednesday, October 7 Every October a group of local businesses, led by the La Crosse Area Chamber of Commerce, shares the voice and concerns of the La Crosse Area with our state elected officials. Join us for this year's virtual event, on Wednesday, October 7, to talk with our leaders […]
- 10/12/2020 - Virtual Candidate Forum for Federal CandidatesPlease register using this link https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9rJy-j0ZRMOYSfuFHIl2pQ
- 10/14/2020 - Virtual Lunch & Learn: Your Personal Brand Will Lead You to SuccessYour Personal Brand Will Lead You to Success “It’s not what you, it’s not who you know, it's…” Do people know you? Do they know who you are? Do they know what you’re all about? Your personal brand matters for your personal and professional success. This month's virtual lunch-and-learn focuses on creating and […]
- 10/15/2020 - Leadercast 2020 Ripple EffectAmplify Your Leadership Impact at Leadercast 2020 Ripple Effect One small action leads to an impact that reverberates through space and time. This is the ripple effect of great leaders who act with the knowledge that their decisions will influence those far beyond their network. At this year's digital leadership conference, we will discover how […]
- 10/20/2020 - La Crosse Area Community Leadership 2020-2021The La Crosse Area Community Leadership Program is unlike any other leadership program you have experienced and is guaranteed to provide greater insight and value into the community in which you live. As a member of the 2020-21 La Crosse Area Community Leadership class, you will: Gain an understanding of Greater La Crosse and the […]
- 10/22/2020 - Servant Leadership Program: Fall 2020Servant Leadership This philosophy and set of practices enriches the lives of individuals, builds better organizations and ultimately creates a more just community and a caring world by teaching how to lead others well. Our fall session, starting October 22, runs for four half-day sessions, facilitated by renowned servant-leadership expert from Viterbo University, Tom Thibodeau. Learn […]